An experiment

The back door enters into a small room of sorts, I call it the mudroom. Well the walls were in a terrible state, so we decided to cover it with reclaimed wood, images of which i see floating all over the world wide web.

I found some Ikea bed slats from Craigslist and we nailed this to the wall. However since it’s so bland, I wanted to stain it but since I really don’t want anything too toxic I researched making  my own wood stains. So I took some copper bits (not pennies) and put it in a glass jar with some vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Who knows how toxic that is??? Image

It turned into this beautiful blue in a matter of minutes.

I went on to brush it on one of the slats hoping it would absorb the color.

Image

The Left part of the slat has two coats and the right side just one. It’s not as blue as the solution in the jar but it looks like a pale blue green

Image

So it works and I like what i see, now I just hope my other chemistry experiments will be as successful.

Advertisements

One thought on “An experiment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s